Senior Director, Philanthropy
Reports to: Senior Vice President, Strategy
The Senior Director, Philanthropy will advance the mission of the Lung Cancer Research Foundation by developing and overseeing all aspects of LCRF’s development department while also planning, organizing, and implementing strategies to increase the financial commitments of donors and prospects.
This position serves on the Senior Leadership Team and reports to the Senior Vice President, Strategy. To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to jobs@LCRF.org.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Strategic Leadership + Partnership
- Partner with Senior Leadership Team and department leads to develop strategies to acquire, engage, activate, and retain a pipeline of supporters that support LCRF’s strategic plan and positions LCRF for transformative growth
- Partner with Senior Leadership Team to identify, cultivate, recruit and onboard executive-level volunteer leadership, including, but not limited to Board of Directors, Scientific Advisory Board, and other committees
- Serve as a member of LCRF’s Senior Leadership Team; provide thought leadership to drive, develop, and assess organization strategies to fulfill LCRF’s mission to improve lung cancer outcomes
Meaningful Engagement + Fundraising
- Develop culture of philanthropy across all facets of LCRF
- Build upon and implement effective strategies for growing major and mid-level giving program, including the direct management and solicitation of individual and foundation gifts that align constituents’ interests with LCRF’s needs to enhance lifetime donor value
- Manage, oversee, and lead LCRF’s organization-wide stewardship strategy and plans for increasing supporter (donor and fundraiser) retention
- Oversee and partner with special event staff with the volunteer management, fundraising, and planning and execution of events, including but not limited to gala and cultivation events
- Stay current with advances in lung cancer research and effectively relate the impact for patients and donors
- Prepare, track, measure, and analyze data and reports to ensure development goals, benchmarks, and budgets are achieved
- Develop and manage high-profile volunteer development committee(s) to further strengthen individual giving programs
Collaboration + Management
- Lead and provide direct oversight to the development team and their work, including, but not limited to, prospect research, direct response, special events, donor database, and gift processing and acknowledgements
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to identify, engage, and activate constituents across LCRF’s programmatic and development opportunities
- Collaborate with Marketing + Communications team to ensure mass communications are consistent, cohesive and drive desired outcomes
- 7-10 years of experience in nonprofit development, including major gift fundraising and staff/volunteer management
- Experience with donor and volunteer cultivation, stewardship, and procurement with proven success of executing on goals, moves management, and experience leading and partnering with staff and volunteers to achieve desired outcomes
- Experience working with donors who have a vested interest in directly supporting research
- Uniquely people-oriented with a natural and innate desire to connect and build relationships
- Outstanding communication skills, articulate, and persuasive with well-honed relationship building skills
- Highly developed interpersonal skills with the presence and personal style to represent the organization with multiple constituents
- Experience with budgeting and financial management
- Ability to travel for donor meetings, foundation events and industry conferences (up to 25%)
- Working knowledge of CRMs such as Raiser’s Edge or Salesforce
- Passionate about LCRF’s mission to improve lung cancer outcomes
- Entrepreneurial, visionary approach with the ability to conceive of, execute, and communicate innovative solutions
- Must be a self-starter who takes initiative and can balance big picture strategy and execution against plans
- Outstanding, articulate, and persuasive communication skills, with well-honed relationship building skills and excellent public speaking and presentation abilities
- Exceptional strategic thinking and problem-solving abilities, and proven track record of success in solving complex and dynamic situations
- Resourceful with available funding and creating fund development opportunities for donor and funder partnerships.
- Adaptable and flexible, ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced, results-oriented culture with limited guidance and a service-oriented mindset.
- Fosters a strong, positive, and collaborative team environment and is skilled in coaching and developing others while providing mentorship and guidance where needed
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Ability to maintain diplomacy and composure under pressure
- Commitment to personal learning and development and openness to feedback
Lung Cancer Research Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibit discrimination and harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, maternity leave, or related conditions), national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter along with a resume to jobs@LCRF.org.
About the Lung Cancer Research Foundation
- The Lung Cancer Research Foundation (LCRF) is the pre-eminent nonprofit organization focused on funding innovative, high-reward research with the potential to extend survival and improve quality of life for people with lung cancer. LCRF’s mission is to improve lung cancer outcomes by funding research for the prevention, diagnosis, treatment and cure of lung cancer.
- To date, LCRF has provided $39 million in research grants to investigators around the world. In addition to funding lung cancer research, the organization focuses on lung cancer awareness and educational programs.
- The Foundation also hosts community events nationwide through the Free to Breathe Events Program.
- For more information, visit LCRF.org