Senior Director, Finance & Administration
Reports to: Executive Director
Location: NYC tri-state preferred (primarily remote with some on-site)
The Lung Cancer Research Foundation (LCRF) is a non-profit organization focused on funding groundbreaking research for the prevention, diagnosis, treatment and cure of lung cancer. To date, LCRF has provided over $42M for lung cancer research in the U.S. and around the world.
The Senior Director, Finance & Administration is a full-time staff member who is self-motivated and highly experienced. The position reports to the Executive Director and oversees all financial and operational management activities.
Scope and Responsibilities
The Sr. Director, Finance & Administration will oversee the following areas of the organization:
- Finance & Accounting
- Information Technology
- Human Resources
- Grant Administration & Contracting
- Management of two full-time staff
- Manager, Finance & Administration
- Coordinator, Finance & Administration
Finance and Accounting
- Responsible for the direction and execution of overall financial management and accounting practices for the organization.
- Oversee financial planning, accounting, budgeting, tax preparations, and financial and tax reporting as well as the system of internal financial accounting controls of the organization.
- Act as a liaison to the Treasurer of the Board of Directors.
- Prepare LCRF’s annual budget in conjunction with the Senior Leadership Team and the Treasurer of the Board of Directors.
- Prepare and direct the preparation of timely, accurate and comprehensive monthly financial statements and supporting analytics. Creates quarterly financial forecasts, other financial models needed to continuously monitor the organization’s financial performance.
- Develop and implement finance and accounting policies and procedures, oversee financial controls, and identify and install mechanisms for internal and external control to ensure compliance with laws, regulations, grant documents, and contracts.
- Maintain current knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (G.A.A.P.) and AICPA guidance.
- Prepare for and facilitate the annual year-end audit of the financial statements and any other applicable audits.
- Prepare IRS Form 990, IRS Form 990-T, IRS form 1099, and DOL Form 5500.
- Oversee risk management process for LCRF.
- Oversee the administrative team and all aspects of the internal operation of LCRF’s office.
- Liaison to LCRF’s property managers, and office equipment vendors.
- Creation and maintenance of administrative policies and procedures.
Information Technology (IT)
- Responsible for relationship with LCRF’s external IT provider.
- Deliver internal IT support and leadership to LCRF projects and programs with an IT component.
- Ensure LCRF’s donor database, website, inventory ordering, and all other software programs operate efficiently.
- Ensure LCRF staff are equipped with the hardware and software necessary to do their jobs both in the office and remotely.
- Work with LCRF’s external IT provider to maintain organizational data security and the confidentiality of our constituent information.
- Ensure LCRF operates within all applicable laws and regulations.
- Familiar with current Human Resources best practices.
- Prepare and maintain employee manual ensuring compliance with the policies and procedures contained therein.
- Oversee bi-weekly payroll processing and 401k Plan Contributions.
- Manage employee benefits program in conjunction with ADP including benefit selection, open enrollment, and the management of day-to-day employee benefit issues.
- Develop and coordinate a performance evaluation system in conjunction with the Senior Leadership Team and ADP.
Grant Administration & Contracting
- Oversee grant contracting, administration, and reporting, including but not limited to:
- Pilot Grants – Leading Edge, Minority Career Development, Early Detection, and Resistance
- All other research grants under administration
- LCMC3, LCMC4
- Work with the Senior Leadership and Board of Directors to establish the annual direct research spend budget.
- Evaluate new grant making opportunities for alignment with LCRF’s research mission and strategy.
- Serve as liaison with external stakeholders, research partners, Industry Partners and attorneys to ensure grant contracts are in compliance with all federal, state, and local laws while protecting the business interests of LCRF.
- Create detailed internal and external budgets in support of LCRF grant programs and funding requests.
- Prepare financial reports required by stakeholders and Industry Partners contracts.
- Evaluate grant making systems and process and make recommendation for improving efficiency and effectiveness.
- Minimum ten (10) years professional experience in the not-for-profit field showing steadily increasing responsibility, including previous supervisory experience, preferably of both professional and administrative staff along with demonstrated experience managing multiple departments and projects.
- Commitment to LCRF’s mission and vision.
- Experience working with and reporting to Boards of Directors and other volunteer leadership groups.
- Proven ability to operate both strategically and tactically with strong general business management, strategic financial management, and analytical skills.
- Working knowledge of not-for-profit research, marketing, development, and peer to peer programs.
- Solid knowledge of non-profit GAAP and a strong internal control environment.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) preferred but not required.
Systems and Software
- Raiser’s Edge
- Luminate Online, Classy
- ADP PEO Platform – Total Source Payroll, Total Source Benefits, My Learning, and Enhanced Talent Suite
- Proficient in Microsoft Office including Outlook, Word, Excel, SharePoint, and PowerPoint
- Verizon, Zoom, Slack
- Foundant & Proposal Central
The Lung Cancer Research Foundation provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter along with a resume to jobs@LCRF.org.
About the Lung Cancer Research Foundation
- The Lung Cancer Research Foundation (LCRF) is the pre-eminent nonprofit organization focused on funding innovative, high-reward research with the potential to extend survival and improve quality of life for people with lung cancer. LCRF’s mission is to improve lung cancer outcomes by funding research for the prevention, diagnosis, treatment and cure of lung cancer.
- To date, LCRF has provided over $42 million in research grants to investigators around the world. In addition to funding lung cancer research, the organization focuses on lung cancer awareness and educational programs.
- The Foundation also hosts community events nationwide through the Free to Breathe Events Program.
- For more information, visit LCRF.org